Content Marketing is the buzzword for digital publishing across the web, email, and social platforms.
Find what your audience talks about online and:
- Build data-informed marketing personas
- Optimize social & display ad targeting
- Write/record/post about things to serve these interests
- Pitch outlets to cover these topics
- Use it in keyword research
- Use in social posts for greater visibility
Find what your audience follows, visits, and engages-with and:
- Use them as Social/display ad targets
- Run influencer campaigns
- Invite for PR, event, & cobranding opportunities
- Inspire content strategy & marketing
- Pitch for coverage or guest pieces
- Follow them to better understand what resonates with your audience and why
Find what your audience watches, listens-to, and reads and:
- Sponsor these podcasts, channels, & press sources
- Target your YouTube, podcast, and media ad buys
- Pitch to be a guest, or for coverage
- Build relationships with hosts/reporters
- The Hierarchy of Content
- Priceonomics: The Content Marketing Handbook
- B2C Content Marketing
- Mario Peshev: The Guide to Consistently Producing High Quality Content
- Sparktoro: The Paradox of Content Marketing to Beginners vs. Experts
- Animalz: The Content Writing Guide
- Animalz: Low Effort, High Impact Content Ideas
- Hubspot Hit a Wall with Content Marketing. So They Bought The Hustle.
- Jordan O’COnnor: Content Flywheel
- Ann Handley: How to Create Ridiculously Good Content (video)
- Daniel Miessler: Content Value Hierarchy
- Successes and failures of startup content marketing
- Trying to bet on virality is just, it’s not, it’s something you can prepare for, but you can’t actually create
- Your New KPIs to Gauge Content Quality
Example outcome goals:
- Improve website traffic volume which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of unique visitors to the site.
- Improve website conversion rate which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of sales made through the website.
- Improve email subscriber click-through rate which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of clicks on links within the newsletter.
- Improve email subscriber forward rate which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of subscribers who forward the newsletter to others.
- Improve email subscriber conversion rate which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of subscribers who take a specific action, such as signing up for a webinar or making a purchase, after receiving the newsletter.
- Improve social media engagement from our social media followers which we could potentially measure by tracking the number of likes, comments, and shares on our social media posts.
- Include keyword in title
- Choose an evergreen URL. Cool URIs don’t change
- Make it longer (more context, more tips)
- Make it richer (more data, more research, more user-cases)
- Make it stickier (more examples, imagery, gifs, videos)
Finding ideas with Ahrefs:
- List competing sites
- Search them within Ahrefs
- Tap top pages
- Find the top pages with a <10 RD (Competing articles with <10 RD are low-hanging fruits to update and reach out to those linking to original piece.)