Getting my first apartment.
Going unfurnished to test what I really need. When I travel I take a mere backpack with everything I need.
But if I’m living, I’ll want a few more things. My filter for decisions is an attempt for anything that I bring/acquire for my apartment to fit into my small coupe.
Things I plan to take from home:
- Beach chair
- Water bottle
Things to acquire for apartment:
- Desk for working
- Chair for working
- Table for eating
- Water filter
- Window coverings (required by lease agreement?)
- Cooking appliances
- Renters Insurance
- Misc Items
I’d really love an air purifier and piano but we have bigger priorities listed above.
Here’s a quick rundown of the products I’m looking at:
- BED: Shikifuton with Cover
- $80 DESK: Fold-in-Half Table 48 x 24”
- $100 CHAIR: Autonomous ErgoStool
- $80 TABLE: Coffee table
- $30 WATER FILTER: PUR Classic 11 Cup (18 Cup?)
This post from J-Life International sold me.
I have a partner, so size requirements go up to queen—if I’m going to go bigger might as well equip to my 6’ 3” size as well.
|Product||Price for Full (2x for 75x54”)||Price for Queen (2x for 80x60)|
|Tatami Mats (Optional)||$440||$500|
|Shikifuton with Cover||$500||$540|
|Kakefuton with Cover||$360||$360|
|Buckwheat Hull Pillow||$50||$100|
Beds, fit for two, are expensive.
J-Life International The Japanese Futon:
The best way to determine your needs is to purchase the Shiki Futon to start. Try it for at least a week. If you feel that you need additional support or comfort, purchase the 3-Fold Mattress.
After watching J-Life International Full Futon Bed Setup and First Impressions, I put more weight on the Kakefuton than Tatami Mats. Now opting for a rug or a mere blanket to separate it from the apartment carpet.
Alternative Amazon option for $375. Scroll down to see the frequently bought together section.
- $168.00 FULI Japanese Traditional Shiki Futon (shikibuton) High Grade Floor Mattress, Twin XL. Made in Japan
- $158.00 FULI Japanese Traditional Igusa (Rush Grass) Tatami Mattress, Twin XL. Made in Japan
- $49.99 FULI 100% Cotton Cover for Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress, Twin XL, Gray. Made in Japan
- Caring for it.
- How to Lay Out and Fold Up a Japanese Futon
- DO I NEED TATAMI MATS? WHAT SHOULD GO UNDER MY FUTON?
- Purchasing Your First Tatami Mat
Alt bed and furniture
Standing desks are nice.
Could try out a riser stand.
Table for eating
Here’s the thing, I’m not going to buy anything until I realize I want to use it.
So my current essentials are:
- Electric kettle
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Forks, spoons, knifes, bowls, plates, cups (Max four)
- Wooden cooking utensils
- Cumin, ginger, paprika, tumeric, chili pepper, pepper and salt.
Things yet-to-be essential but I see coming:
- Knife 8”
- Rice cooker?
- Slow cooker
Hopefully can just pick one off from someone I know.
- Laundry basket
- Quip custom bundle seems cooler than refilling everything